Sliders

  • KEY OF THUNDERA Paper kit available to buy soon
  • My Iron Man Paper mask
  • My Kryten movie features in this books DVD
  • FULL SCALE BAZOOKOID PAPER PROP UNDER DEVELOPMENT

Text

Glen creates Pop-Craft. Professional custom-made model kits using craft materials for the internets growing Fan-Film & Cosplay communities to reproduce and utilise within their own creative endeavors. Careful attention to detail guarantees the highest quality and craftsmanship in every paper kit he produces.
Why not join in the fun and become part of this community. If your a cosplayer, film-maker, artist, "actor", or are just looking for something creative to do then he has lots of exciting ideas and bespoke projects to help inspire you in the production of your own affordable fan-film, Mockbuster or Mash-up.

Saturday 19 October 2013

Projects: General Kala - stage 3



Well, shortly after seeing the initial Kala's helmet maquette that I'd been experimenting with, two 'willing volunteers' ended up commissioning me to make a General Kala costume for their Halloween events.  It was a mad rush, not only to build two of these costumes at the same time, but also to get them finished in time - eek!

I had though that it would be a simple matter of uniformly scaling up the patterns from the maquette model I'd made however, as it turns out, female heads just aren't very wide at all.  I calculated that my initial design wouldn't have fitted well at all. Instead, I opted to squash and stretch the computer model to fit a set of new head measurements which were sent to me.  Luckily both clients had the same sized head so that saved me a bit of time. but still meant that I had to unfold my revised computer model again, redraw it's net patterns once more and add all the glue tabs back into just the right places.



My full scale prototype of the General Kala costume pieces turned out pretty good given the time constraint.  Looking back at some reference images I could see that General Kala's costume is actually covered in Gold and black bulge beads, which must have takes the films costume designers several months to individually sew on.  
I was hoping to find some glitter paper for my design but settled on a metallic pearl type of paper. Thinking about it now I could have just sprinkled some glitter on top of that for that truly glistening look - hum? Will have to think about that for nest time…

One issue that still bugs me however is that I couldn't quite pin down the shape of her belt. The reference images I had found online just don't show that detail off very clearly at all. If anyone reading this has a better images of the original General Kala costume from the film please message me, I'd love to work on that detail some more. :-)