Sliders

  • KEY OF THUNDERA Paper kit available to buy soon
  • My Iron Man Paper mask
  • My Kryten movie features in this books DVD
  • FULL SCALE BAZOOKOID PAPER PROP UNDER DEVELOPMENT

Text

Glen creates Pop-Craft. Professional custom-made model kits using craft materials for the internets growing Fan-Film & Cosplay communities to reproduce and utilise within their own creative endeavors. Careful attention to detail guarantees the highest quality and craftsmanship in every paper kit he produces.
Why not join in the fun and become part of this community. If your a cosplayer, film-maker, artist, "actor", or are just looking for something creative to do then he has lots of exciting ideas and bespoke projects to help inspire you in the production of your own affordable fan-film, Mockbuster or Mash-up.

Friday 21 November 2008

Project: A life sized Human Skull Part 1

There are many Paper models I would have loved to be able to create in my youth. A complex shape like the human skull was always top of my agenda.

Sketch-Up, the only 3D software program I've managed to really get to grips with, has finally enabled me to explore this level of complex forms and in combination with a program called Pepakura I’m able to translate that shape back into the conventional 2 dimensional net patterns I need to create a paper model. Suddenly old projects I had to discount became feasible possibilities once again.
(Oh-My-God!! - Can open, worms everywhere...)

Now this all sounded quite a simple process indeed. From low polygon computer model, to a physical paper one in three or four easy steps. At the time I figured this would be a much quicker way to produce paper models than sculpting it in paper, from scratch, by hand however, the reality of it is quite the opposite.

Um... and Yes, I did attempt to make a paper skull by hand…

The time factor, could either be down to the complexity of the themes I‘ve chosen, or dew to the fact that now I could see and interact with my model on the computer screen the urge to tinker’, to make it ‘perfect’ was just too great but, one thing is for sure, modeling programs are certainly no substitute to the ‘old ways’. These programs are however a great tool, which allow you to 'raise your game' and attempt something a lot more complex and ‘advanced’ than perhaps you would normally attempt by hand. I would encourage you all to push the boundaries. As I always say, “if it’s easy, then it’s probably not worth doing…”

Many an evening was spent on Sketch-Up ‘tinkering’, repairing this damaged low-poly skull model I'd found. Referring back constantly to photos of real human skulls in order to improve on it’s original shape.
Numerous attempts were made going back and fourth between the virtual model and it’s subsequent amended paper version. This project has been an interesting learning curve for me. Creating something ‘virtually’ then being able to replicate that shape into a physical object it’s very reminiscent of how I felt seeing Eshas optical illusions for the first time.

I even ended up re-building the jaw and the underside of the skull completely, three times, because I really wanted the jaw to move and be able to attach to the skull some how but, It's one thing to make object in a virtual space but quite another to then have it in the real world…

My final design had to be split into smaller sections in order for Pepakura to work properly, hence the rudimentary colour code so I could remember which section belonged where, – even then Pepakura was still glitchy – and still is…


To be continued....